- At least 51 killed as plane crashes in Taiwan
- Train collision kills one, injures dozens in S Korea
- Group of Iran MPs to travel to Gaza soon: Lawmaker
- Russia vows to give adequate response to NATO expansion
- US-led airstrike kills four in Afghanistan’s Helmand Province
- Iran repeats call on Egypt to reopen Rafah border crossing
- Iran gas exports to Iraq to start in 2015: Iranian official
- Iran, 5+1 Group to resume nuclear talks in September: Tehran
- Russia faces influx of refugees from Ukraine
- News Magazine No 133: July 23, 2014 - Subcontinent,15:23 UTC, 16:23 UTC
There have been over 1,000 complaints of New York City police misconduct in recent years regarding officers’ use of chokeholds, a city agency that is investigating the incidents said days after a man put into hold by police died in Staten Island.
Empires are not easy to sustain given the multiple enemies that they provoke: at the international level: imperial rivals and emerging new powers, at the national level: national resistance movements, unreliable clients and untrustworthy ‘Sepoy’ armies, and at the local level: boycotts, sabotage and strikes.
Just recently, the US Department of Justice quietly announced that it would not launch a criminal investigation following the revelation in March that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) had spied on the staff of the Senate Intelligence Committee.